Tuesday 11 December 2018

Fall Paddles on the Santa Fe River

The Santa Fe River runs across the northern border of High Springs. It’s also nearly entirely undeveloped, filled with springs, and an excellent river for paddling and diving year-round (although I freely admit that I prefer it to be at least 65F for paddling adventures; I like to be warm). Currently there are two excellent facilities here in/near High Springs that will rent you a boat and/or shuttle you back to your car: Rum 138 and Santa Fe Canoe Outpost. Last Saturday was possibly the last warm, sunny weekend for a while, and as my new kayak had just arrived the day before (and miraculously fit inside my tiny hatchback), I decided to take it on its maiden voyage. I decided to paddle from Rum Island to the Hwy 47 bridge – a trip I’ve done quite a few times, but never at this time of year – using the excellent shuttle services of Rum 138. Fall foliage on the Santa Fe is lovely, and I’m glad I went out even if it wasn’t quite up to my preferred level of warmth.

It was a lazy day.


Naked Springs Run


Blue Springs Run



Ginnie Springs is only this empty at this time of year!


Ginnie Springs




I snagged this map from OurSantaFeRiver.org; it shows the route I took.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My continued obsession with the abandoned rail yards of High Springs

I was out for a ride on the unofficial rails-to-trails as I so often am, when I gave into temptation and decided to explore one of the pat...