Wednesday 19 December 2018

My continued obsession with the abandoned rail yards of High Springs

I was out for a ride on the unofficial rails-to-trails as I so often am, when I gave into temptation and decided to explore one of the paths that I've seen leading off into the woods alongside site of the old rail yards. From the rail path, they seemed to be little more than paths made by four wheelers or, sadly, people looking for somewhere out of sight to dump their trash. And while it did turn out that these paths had been used by both four wheeler riders and illegal dumpers, I was also able to explore more of the site of the former rail yards than I had before. CSX owns part of that woodland, and it hides more of the remains of the rail yards. Additionally, the well-worn paths through the tall oak woods were probably once streets through the rail yards themselves; it's quite magical. I am even more bummed that this property is not on the potential purchase list for the rails-to-trails project, as it would make such an amazing historical and natural park. First, let me provide you with some maps to orient you to the location of my most recent explorations (you may have seen similar maps previously, so feel free to scroll past), followed by my photographs. Enjoy!

The main portion of the rail yards was located in the three blue squares,
which are still owned by CSX.

This was the approximate area that I explored.

Note the wooded areas within the CSX properties

There were definitely some streets, but hardly any trees at the rail yards' demise.


Such an inviting path


I got a little spooked here... It was just a couple of deer, though.


Would be lovelier without the tire and other debris >:(


Old roads through the woods are magical!


Where do you park your ghost train?


More magical old roads


Some kind of old well top


Close-up of the old well pipe


Foundation remnants


More foundations

1 comment:

My continued obsession with the abandoned rail yards of High Springs

I was out for a ride on the unofficial rails-to-trails as I so often am, when I gave into temptation and decided to explore one of the pat...